PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (UC "g")
This course will prepare students with the knowledge and skills needed to work as a licensed pharmacy technician. Upon the successful completion of the program, students will meet the educational and training requirements needed to become registered as a technician with the California State Board of Pharmacy. This comprehensive 519 hour program consists of classroom lectures, hands-on labs and practical training. The curriculum and topics of study include the general practice of pharmacy, pharmacology, pharmacy calculations, drug compounding and classifications, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology as well as professional development and interpersonal skills. Students who qualify are guaranteed internship placement in a local community pharmacy. Upon completion of 120 internship hours, students may submit their application to the State Board of Pharmacy and apply to become a registered and licensed pharmacy technician. Licensed technicians have the opportunity to work in a variety of pharmacy and healthcare settings.
- Top 200 U.S. drugs
- Medical and pharmaceutical terminology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medications associated with disease states
- Mathematical and pharmaceutical calculations
- Metric conversions
- Basic pharmacy principles and practice
- Scope of practice of the pharmacy team
- Patient confidentiality (HIPAA)
- Inter-professional patient competencies
- Strategies for professional success
- Professionalism and ethical behavior in the health care environment
- Interpersonal communications
- Skills for collaborative practice in the health care profession
- Employability skills
Earned Outside of (Following) the Class
- RPhT - Licensure, Registered Pharmacy Technician licensure by the California State Board of Pharmacy
- CPhT - National certification with the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)PTCB (National Pharmacy Technician Certification)
- 30 high school credits earned for the year
- Training preparation for a job as a pharmacy technician
- Internships are available during the second semester for qualified students
Certifications Earned Within the Class
- Certificate of completion
- CPR Certification
Job Opportunities Upon Completion
- Pharmacy Technician (Retail setting i.e., Walgreens)
- Pharmacy Clerk
About the Instructor
Helena Polanco has more than 29 years of pharmacy experience. She started working in the pharmacy at Walgreens while still in high school at the age of 16. Polanco completed the Pharmacy Technician Training Program from Hartnell College and has been a Licensed Pharmacy Technician in the State of California since 2000. In 2003, she became a nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician receiving her PTCB credential. Polanco has worked in many different pharmacy settings including retail and managed health care. She is also a member of the Pharmacy Technician Educators Council and the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy.
Why do you teach Career and Technical Education?
I love teaching CTE because I want students to know that pharmacy is so much more than counting pills.The profession of pharmacy is so diverse and there are countless pathways to explore with patient care being at the heart of it all. Students should know that as a future pharmacy professional, they are an integral part of the healthcare team.